Wednesday 15 September 2010

In which I remember why I love the G....

£15 Turbo FO, G, Monday 13th Sept

So I played the G 'super steep, super deep' tournament on Monday night because I was bored after work. Nemesis had dropped me a text and, as usual, if he's playing, I'm playing. I get there pretty early and have some great banter with Emma Fullerton, a pal of hers who's name I always forget, Azbo, Nemesis and a couple of others.

When the seats are drawn, well, wp me, I'm in the one seat and one my table are Nemesis and Emma, as well as, and FML, Barry Smith. Brilliant. I definitely needed to be OOP to Emma (superlagggggggg, seat 3) and Ian (seat 5).

Within the first level my bluff frequency is huge, I'm playing mostly ATC. There's only a 15 minute clock, and stacking someone is always nice. Barry Smith limps UTG+1 (seat 7) and I follow (we're 7 handed) with 95cc. Folds to Nemesis OTB and he pumps it to 250 or so and we both call. I think one of the Blinds calls too.

Flop 56Thhc. Checks to Nemesis who bets 600 and is called by Barry Smith. I make it 2200 pretty quick (repping a set) and get called in both spots. Shit. I'm pretty sure Ian has a hand like 78/79/T9/etc and possibley with hearts too. I'm not that delighted by Barry's call caus he almost always has a ten. Iain bets 3200 from an 8000 stack when checked to on a 2c turn (so now I have one pair and a 9 high flush draw lol). On the flop, I checked to Iain mainly for pot control with my weak one pair hand (because he'd have raised with draws as well as real hands if I bet, and also to set up an elaborate three street bluff, which starts with checkraising repping a set on the flop. On the turn, I was planning to lead, until Barry called. Now I have to careful that he's silly enough to call off really light (like I say, the way he played the hand and his demeanour meant that he almost always has a Ten..and a Ten is pretty light given the range I'm repping..) so I check the turn and calculate that I can jam on Ian if he bets the right amount. The nice thing about Barry being in the hand is I can now use him to induce a bluffing range from Ian by checking behind.

Ian bets 3200 on the turn like I say and this is just never a value bet I don't think. With the board now extradrawy he would probably jam his value hands (8k into about 7k..), especially since Barry is in the hand and might stack off light. He knows *for sure* that I'm capable of stacking off really light to Ian too, so there's only one thing to do with his value hands here. 3200 looks like a draw. It could be a well disguised value hand, but, erm, my read was that it wasn't, shall we say. Barry sigh passes and I do the maths and jam 8k effective leaving myself about 7k behind if called. If Ian has a pair and a draw he probably has a decision here, and if he has a bare draw he just has to pass, I think. He tank passes and I show the 'bluff'.

Anyway, I now have about 24k from a 15k starting stack and I'm coasting.  Then this happens on the last hand of 25/50. Player (unknown) opens early and I threebet with KK in the cutoff to 800. I get two cold calls from moron (button) and Emma (SB) before the BB makes it 3000 to play. Original raiser passes and I just jam. Other two quickly pass before BB tanks (with about 16k behind) and talks about how he always loses with this hand, and I put him on AK obv, and then after about 5 minutes (seriously) he calls and flips QQ.

Q on the river. Just the 40k+ (1600BB+) pot lost there then. Sigh. This is not why I love the G lol.

The next hand I raise 10% of my remaining stack, someone makes it 5k (lol) and Emma jams. Thanks for the treble up opportunity with my pretty cards. I jam for 5650 and the guy who made it 5k sigh folds (lol - he passes AJ, but knowing he has three outs he now has the correct price to call off the extra because of his batshit raise....). I beat Emma's AQ with a 6 in the window for my 69s and I'm back to average.

I go on to crush and at one point 6 handed I have 90k, then I have to fold on supercoord flops that miss me and I'm on 45k (average 50k) and 4 handed when I 3bet jam over the eventual winner with K9s and he slowrolls with AQ. He had a healthy chiplead and had opened the last million pots. I miss, obv.

How does he win? He coolers the fuck out of Boris when Boris has him covered by 20k or so. Boris in SB, thinking of what he should raise to (although he hasn't announced raise yet) and the retard just jams. Boris asks to make sure he said 'all in' and then calls with KK. Retard flips 55. Flops quads. Boris makes a stand of it and gets it back to almost even, but he's unlucky again later.

Fortunately this kid has now won 2 tournaments this week (one at aspers, apparently) and will think he's a great player. He's not. Really. I'm licking my lips at the thought of all that money coming back to the poker economy.

Except, I'm not....

I'm taking a break from poker for a while. I'll defo play the £1k added first Tuesday and the NPF Champs is a cert, but other than that I prolly won't play much in October, I'm almost certainly done for September, with the exception of the until I've sorted out a new job and know what I'm doing. We'll see.

Oh, I should tell you why I love the G.....

I was chatting to Phil about why the G's new schedule, much maligned on the NPF, actually makes good business sense for them (it does...) and his enthusiasm to be better all the time was very impressive.  Good things will happen for the G, and if a couple of their games take off we'll have some big pots there pretty soon.

3 comments:

Gaz Walker said...

You should no by now the repping sets is -EV in Newcastle. No one ever believes you, hence why your always playing for stacks when you have one.

That hand is pretty comedy, if I was involved in the hand Ian would snap me off with 77 knowing he was good. I think this is collusion TBH :p

mulhuzz said...

Heh, I know that you shouldn't generally rep a set in Newcastle, but...against Ian, I'd play a set exactly this way, and he knows it.

The look on his face when Barry calls my checkraise was priceless. He knew right then that I planned to use Barry against him! :D

And yeah, I'd call you in that spot with 77 too ;) Don't take that as an insult, I'd call others (Dan Trett, much?) with King high lol. (but, as usual, since Dan owns me, he'd show up with a set...)

mulhuzz said...

oh, I should point out that I sucked out on Barry Smith for a huge pot with 18 left. I raise UTG with KJo, get called in 3 spots (incl both blinds). Flop is AKx two spades, check (Barry), check, I lead, pass, JAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM(Barry), pass, I snnnnappp thinking it was often spades and I had the backdoor nut spade draw anyway. He shows A9o. Great call pre lol. Jack ball on the turn much? Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Post a Comment