Monday 23 August 2010

Today is a bad day....

So I have to work tonight, which means that I've had a couple of extra hours sleep in the afternoon to prepare me for the nightshift.

I've woken up to a barrage of 'WTF?!?!?!' text messages from colleagues and after a bit of digging I managed to find out. Most of our entire team is at the risk of redundancy because the Client is moving business elsewhere. Fuck.

I feel absolutely horrid.

UPDATE: The entire team, including me, is at risk of redundancy. What's worse is that the consultation period will be little more than a formality, and that, sometime within the next 90 days, I won't have a job.

Here's the thing. I've been looking, for a while, for a new job, but I thought that I'd always have the safety net of being here to fall back on. There are two ways of looking at this:

1. Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck the world is falling down.OR
2. Ok, that's that then, nothing we can do, let's use this as the impetus to find a killer job in the time I have left.

As a colleague described it, if a plane slams into the side of a prison, you can either lament the structural damage to the prison itself, or you can just fucking escape. Pretty simple choice if you think about it, and I want to make the most of this horrible spot to kick forward in my career.

I'll miss the craic here in the office. There is no exaggeration on my part when I say that all of the people I work with are fucking top class. Honestly, you couldn't hope to work with a better bunch of people. They truely are superb and I'll miss working with every single one of them.

I'll probably take voluntary redundancy if it's offered, though. Just seems like a good spot to move on.

This is the second time in a little under two years when I've been at risk of redundancy, but whilst there was a realistic chance that I'd keep my job last time, that just isn't the case this time. Let's hope I can make lemons out of lemonade.

If anyone has suggestions for jobs, serious or otherwise (I could do with cheering up!) then let me know in the comments. For reference, I have a law degree, speak 4 languages to various degrees of fluency and am learning a fifth. I have amazing chops in Customer Service and Fraud Mitigation and (still) lead a team of 50 people.

I know this isn't the end of the world.

--mulhuzz

No comments:

Post a Comment