Monday 9 August 2010

In which I start a Revolution....

A short update today, but first, a disclaimer:

When I say 'I' start a revolution, I of course mean that Roscopiko has started a Revolution. Most references to 'I' in this post should be taken to mean 'the collective work of others whose glorious coattails I've clung to for dear life'. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions apply. 

Recently Pads retired from the NPF, and teamdobbs and s2c made the decision to formally announce the creation of a new team to replace the Cubs, the team which Pads led for some time. Their first job was to announce a new glorious leader for this new glorious future. Enter Rosco.

Rosco's first job, then, was to select a team and how he'd like to run it. Needless to say, I think Rosco has excellent taste, not least because he's seen fit to ask me to take part as a regular team member, alongside a great mix of players, who, most importantly, are all excellent banter. You can read all about that here. The name, lest you hadn't seen the link, is NPF Revolution.

What I wanted to talk about here though, is Rosco's idea of having an inclusive, extended team. The idea is basically that he's picked 8 people as 'regs' who will always have the first option to play in any event for which the Revolution are putting together a team.  The other two spots will be left open, and left to Rosco to pick players on a 'per event' basis. This is another cunning tactic. I know what you're thinking. Rosco is going to pick the players that are running like fucking God at the time. Nope. That's not how the Revolution roll -- see what I did there? -- he's going to pick players based on their commitment, no, contribution, to the forum.

What's happened here is that Rosco has immediately created 2 spots for newer, non-affiliated, NPFers to get involved in the banter of the team games. All they have to do is get involved. Which can only be good for forum participation and the community at large. Rumours that they'll be subjected to an X-Factor style audition are probably wide of the mark, which is, of course, also good for forum participation.

I like this idea, I really do. When I first joined the NPF, about 2 years too late, I quickly threw myself into posting, commenting and getting involved in the general banter. Then there was the first 'official' NPF Event, the hallowed NPF UK Team Challenge. I wasn't in a team. I really wanted to play. These events were rumoured to be the best banter ever invented. Fortunately, I was invited to play for s2c's Elite Team, which is an invitation only team put together by Scott. I had a great time. I cemented friendships and online personalities, met new people, saw CGK rock the mike, allsorts. All of that wouldn't have happened without an invitation to play in s2c's team. So anything at all that extends the pool of available slots in teams for this type of game is a fucking great idea s far as I'm concerned.

wp Rosco, wp teamdobbs and s2c, up the Revolution!

--Mulhuzz

1 comment:

TEAMDOBB said...

Glad you approved

Post a Comment