Sunday 5 December 2010

In which I have two days off in a row for the first time....

Work:

So once again, it's been a little while since I've blogged and to be honest that's because I'm working really hard at getting new processes and procedures implemented at work such that as the department grows (projected to more than double in the next 12 months) we have scalable processes in place that all have an owner which will make us super agile and able to adapt as quickly and possible whilst minimizing the risk of growth at such a rapid pace.

This weekend has been the first time since I got here that I've had two days off in a row. I've still been answering emails and doing a little work, but I haven't actually been to the office at all this weekend. Even though I really love the work I do, sometimes it's nice not to have to physically go to the office. I'm reminded of a speech given by Jason Fried of 37signals fame where he talks about why the office isn't actually a place where people work. If you work or manage in an office environment then this should really be required viewing. Go on, cancel that next meeting. People will love you for it! ;)

In any event, I feel I'm really making progress at work and making the changes that are required as quickly and as sensitively as possible -- even though I have been accused of 'killing the culture' on more than one occasion because I have some radical ideas about schedule and capacity management (e.g. we should forecast volume before scheduling, hardly revolutionary, I know!) I guess maybe I need to learn to tilt less and focus more on getting people to buy in to the changes I want to make. Just because they're obvious wins from my perspective doesn't mean others 'get it' quite so easily.

Social:


The social life here is, as ever, completely awesome. I'm really having a lot of fun and the maxim 'work hard, play harder' certainly applies here! Whether it's going out for dinner or playing poker through the week (still on a lifetime downswing btw, but nice upswing at slots!) to getting absolutely battered at the weekends, there is always something cool to do and awesome people to do it with.

Speaking of awesome people, at the beginning of the month I moved into my new apartment, right on the marina looking out towards Spain and Africa, a full 5 minutes (if I'm lazy, and I think we'll all agree that I am!) walk to the office which is super nice. I've attached some photos below ;)








I'm sure you'll all agree that this apartment is pretty baller for £500/month!

My flatmates Mike (Lead French Community Manager) and Joerg (Poker Market Analyst) are two of the nicest blokes you could ever hope to meet so I'm really happy!

Other:
  •  Yesterday was hell because I had a really bad toothache for about 5 hours.
  •  Copious amounts of rum solved the problem. ;)
  •  Pads was here for an interview last week. The word on the street is that he crushed it. Let's gogogogo one time and ship me the $2k referral bonus lol.
  • I'm really hoping to get to the APAT team game even though I (quite rightly) wasn't selected to play. I defo wanna be on the rail.
  • I still haven't been to Spain. I really should change that, particularly now I've started learning Spanish.
  • I'm speaking more German than I have in about 4 years, which is really nice for sure. Even though yesterday I had a really bad toothache which I can only assume was the result of not uttering a single English word the whole day!
That's about it, honestly. Comments appreciated, and let me know if you wanna join Scottttty and Dan Mutha Fucking Trett here sometime early next year! :D

Hopefully I'll see many of you at the Bolton G in January. Until then, if I don't get the chance, I'd like to wish you all:

A Very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful New Year!


Huzz

No comments:

Post a Comment