Sunday 9 January 2011

In which I take baby steps...

Goal One: Poker

So I've been more relaxed about poker recently and had a winning cash session (some £200 or so) at the cash tables recently and also our new MTT study group (Project: Ship the Majors) made $120 playing a small spread of tournaments today, including the Sunday Warm Up where we cashed for $500 or so. Crucial hand was AKss vs JJ on JXXAss board. Oh well, that's a set up obviously.

I'm actually enjoying poker again so far, but the trick is not to play too regularly, I think.
Goal Two: Lifestyle

I've also made some baby steps with regards to health. I'm drinking far more water and eating more healthily than I did last year and I'm not missing it. I also played Rugby for the first time in a couple of years today which was great fun. Really enjoyed the crack and the banter and I'm going to be training 4 hours a week, in addition to games in the Spanish National League. Obviously this will allow me to get fit and also with....

Goal Six: Travel

Really hungover on Saturday (weekends don't count, right!) I woke up at a friend's house and we headed to Jerez in Spain. It's about an hour and a half away by car and we left the glorious sunshine in Gib to be greeted by horrendous rain. Nice lives us imo. Still, Jerez is famous for Sherry (Jerez in Arabic sounds a lot like Sherry and obviously the moors owned southern Spain at one point...) so we toured the biggest Sherry factory, had some Tapas and tasting before heading home. A very pleasant afternoon indeed and we rounded off the evening back in Gib with some Thai food.

2011 already has 2 roadtrips completed (Malaga and Jerez), so Goal 6 is looking good! 

Goal Four: Languages

I'm speaking German about 60% of my day which is nice and I don't speak English unless I have to. Coupled with a studious approach to (re)learning the finer points of grammar, I feel my German is steadily improving again. I've also signed up for Spanish courses so that I feel comfortable enough to get by in Spain. I've taken some baby steps by ordering food and drink in Spanish and speaking Spanish at the supermarkets and so.

It's too early to comment on my other goals, but I'm in a good place right now. Now if only I could get my bank card back....(machine ate it, sigh).

I'll also be following Farmer Dave and Sensh's weight loss threads over at the NPF with interest.

Let's pay it forward!

Peace,

--Huzz



No comments:

Post a Comment